I was hoping to visit, today, the Parliament House, where the body of Singapore’s founding father Lee Kuan Lee has been lying in state since yesterday.
Indications in the morning were that the waiting time was less than two hours. I was encouraged by that but as the day wore along crowds began to stream in there in full force and the waiting time became seven hours. Authorities were suggesting that people avoid queuing up amid that level of a flow.
So, I gave up the idea and decided that I could try my luck tomorrow. The Parliament House will remain open round the clock till 8pm on Saturday.
Singaporeans love the no-nonsense, straight-talking, transformative leader so much that they are not deterred by the long wait. And why not for it was Mr Lee who guided Singapore to growth, peace and prosperity.
My earlier posts on Singapore’s founding PM
- Lee Kuan Yew’s Influence on World Leaders – https://joslinv.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/how-lee-kuan-yew-influenced-worlds-leaders/
- Singapore in Grief at Passing of Lee Kuan Yew – https://joslinv.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/lee-kuan-yew-the-man-who-made-the-country-an-economic-powerhouse/
- Nation in Grief, But Life and Business Normal – https://joslinv.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/nation-in-grief-but-life-and-business-normal/
- Lee Kuan Yew and Indira Gandhi – https://joslinv.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/lee-kuan-yew-and-indira-gandhi/
- Crowds converge on Parliament House – https://joslinv.wordpress.com/2015/03/25/people-throng-parliament-house-to-pay-respects-to-lee-kuan-yew/
G Joslin Vethakumar