After letting economic offender Vijay Mallya escape from Delhi with 11 bags, India is taking peripheral actions that will make the liquor baron chuckle in his cosy London confines. Plain bunkum!
- First, India revoked Mallya’s passport
I will be surprised if he has no other passport. Former Prime Minister of Thailand, Thaksin Shinawatra, also an industrialist, was believed to be holding six passports.
- Second, India is initiating action to strip Mallya of his Rajya Sabha membership.
- As if this is going to bother a man who has ripped Indian banks apart and remains defiant!
- His attendance in the Rajya Sabha was 30% and participation in debates – Nil
- In the first place, it was with the help of the BJP that Mallya became an MP.
These superficial actions are designed to fool the gullible in India into imagining that here is a Hindutva government that is serious about dealing with filthy rich wilful defaulters and money launderers.
Let us not forget how former IPL chief Lalit Modi enjoyed the patronage of India’s External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and is now safely ensconced in London – like Mallya.
G Joslin Vethakumar