As Singapore Keeps COVID-19 Under Check, the Virus has been spreading wildly globally, Reaching Even the U.S. and infecting the Dow!
Soon after China went public about two months ago with data on what is now known as the COVID-19 outbreak it emerged that Singapore had the highest number of coronavirus (the earlier name) cases (perhaps around 30 then) outside of the mainland. That was Singapore-style openness. Transparency is, after all, the best way to deal with any crisis, virus or otherwise.
China is demonstrating transparency even as it has been going all out to tackle the outbreak in all earnestness. Not surprisingly, it has won empathy and praise from the WHO.
It is going through testing times and dealing with it resolutely. It may even emerge stronger from the crisis. A few days ago, I heard an analyst say on TV that the outbreak may hit the world harder than China.
Praise for Singapore
While a Harvard University study described Singapore’s success as gold standard for case detection, the World Health Organisation found that the country left no stone unturned in dealing with the situation.
That said, reports from the U.S. state that more than 8400 people are being monitored in California for the virus. Not too long ago, President Donald Trump had claimed that the virus was under total control in the U.S. He recently even reiterated the message with a Tweet.
- The U.S. has 60 confirmed cases and yesterday he announced an action plan under the leadership of Vice-President Pence to respond to the threat.
It looks like Singapore will have to monitor those arriving from the U.S. as well.
- Singapore has so far had only 96 COVID-19 cases out of whom 66 have recovered.
- As of today, Korea has more than 2300 cases (with 13 deaths), most of them coming from a mad Church of Jesus with a cult following.
- Italy has reported 655 cases (with 17 deaths).
- Iran has 388 cases, with even its Vice-President and many senior government leaders down with the coronavirus. Japan has more than 220 cases and Germany 60 even as it is said to be spreading across Europe.
G Joslin Vethakumar